Liminal Crime Writing
Tutor: Hawa Jande Golakai
Duration: 2.5 weeks
Class size: 15 max
This class will take place online via Zoom and is open to students from anywhere.
DIVERGENT – Introduction to Liminal Crime Writing
- Shapeshifting beyond the Standard: genre writing beyond the literary; new crime styles, characters and barriers; shifting from idea to incendiary storyline
- Mixed Messages: portrayals of ‘good’, ‘bad’ & the ‘other’ in literature and pop culture; shaping credible protagonists, antagonists and background characters
- Setting the Stage: creating a mood via scenery; building a pacey plot and defining character motivation
- Imagining the Infinite: oral vs written storytelling in African culture; incorporating our identities into crime writing
- Hook, Line or Stinker: expertly subverting tropes; the pitfalls of weaving a story from your imagination vs basing it on real life experience; Sherlockian storytelling
Each module will be accompanied by a task/challenge. The challenges will be broadly creative in nature and paired with a writing exercise, to be completed and shared at the start of each new session.